Latest News

Oxford Men’s match – 10th March

May 13, 2019

Guernsey welcomed Oxford University to Guernsey for a game in preparation for the Inter Insulars later in the month.

The game would be good preparation and an opportunity for some of the younger players to get some game experience at this level of competition.  The game started at a high pace with both teams enjoying some early possession. It was Oxford who took the initiative in the first half, forcing Guernsey keeper Jake Le Marchant into a number of excellent saves, including one with his helmet. Guernsey stuck in the game and defended excellently with Cormack, Peacgood, Dawe and Thompson rotating at the back and providing an excellent barrier in front of the goal. The game opened up towards half time and Guernsey were unlucky not to go in front on three occasions, the whistle being blown too early for a short corner with the ball ending in the net on one occasion and arguably a penalty stroke was missed for a bad foul on Lewis Perfitt going around the back. Zak Damarell also had an excellent chance to give Guernsey the lead when a ball found him in the circle with the keeper down. Damarell managed to slap the ball towards goal only for it to be cleared off the line.

The second half started in the same vein at a terrific pace both sides again working hard to create an opening. It finally came for Guernsey at a short corner where a scruffy Damarell strike eluded everyone and ended up in the bottom corner for a 1-0 Guernsey lead.  Oxford pushed hard again and Le Marchant made another couple of smart saves before Oxburgh equallised with a low reverse stick strike to make it 1-1. With not much between the teams it was Guernsey who forged ahead again when Whalley nicked the ball from a defender at a corner and sent a low strike in to the bottom corner across the keeper to put Guernsey 2-1 up. With a few minutes to go Guernsey confirmed the victory when another short corner was awarded this time Damarell’s strike was deflected high into the net at the left post by Steve Waldrom to give Guernsey a 3-1 lead and ultimately victory.–9hWBeQBJIGhJZlq1pJ8oJBgo_U